A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Monday, January 5, 2015

20 Days of Writing: Day 1 - Spilled Milk

This post is part of the 20 Days of Chill Writing Challenge hosted by A ‘lil HooHaa. Please check out the site if you’d like to see others or join in. And for those participating, take a moment and check out the other participants!



In the nursing mom world, spilled milk is the worst thing that can happen. Spilling the liquid gold that your body produces for your little one is precious.

But every nursing mom has had it happen at least once.  It could happen at work when pouring the milk from the catch bottle to a storage bag (which I did - all over the floor under my desk).  It could happen at home at the counter when pouring it from the storage bag to a bottle (which I also have done), or dropping a full bottle on the floor before giving it to your child (which I thankfully haven't done).

Since breastmilk is a supply/demand system, your body produces it when it thinks it is needed, so when you pump or when  your child nurses.  You can't recover what was spilled.

The first time I spilled milk, I did cry - because as nursing moms you are trained that you can't waste any bit of that liquid gold.  The second time I spilled milk, I kicked myself, but realized life would go on.  Because life does go on.  And unfortunately one day you won't have to worry about spilling milk because your child won't be drinking the liquid gold.  So there is really no need to cry over spilled milk.  Yes, you can't get it back, but your child will not miss it.  Clean it up and pump or nurse some more.  It will do your body good.




Also linking up to these lovely Mommy bloghops:

The Life Of Faith

Time for Mom


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)