A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Donate Life

Did you know that April is National Donate Life Month?




 Some statistics from the Donate Life page:

Currently, more than 120,000 men, women and children are awaiting organ transplants in the United States. For specific numbers visit unos.org

As of October 2013 there were approximately 1,851 Pediatric Patients awaiting transplants.

It is incredibly easy to register to donate.  You can find state specific information here.

 **********

When Dan died we were asked if we wanted to talk with the donation coordinator.  I did speak with that person because I know how hard that job is.  However, I couldn't bring myself to donate Dan's organs because I didn't want to chance giving anyone else NPC.  I know that NPC isn't contagious (like a common cold) but I didn't know whether a donee would be diagnosed with NPC after receiving Dan's organs. 

I don't know how many of Dan's organ systems (including eyes and skin) were affected and I didn't want to give another family a horrible disease, especially since they would have just experienced the joy of seeing their loved one have a better life due to a donated organ.

Parents are the ones that get to choose if they donate their minor children's organs.  So if you have minor kids that are of an age to understand, it may be worth the conversation.  If as an adult you decide to donate your organs, make sure your doctor knows and you carry some type of organ donation card with you.  Also make sure your family knows, as they will be the ones making the final decision.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)