A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Another good grocery trip

We all need to eat and we all need to get groceries.  There are a couple of stores that deliver, but I actually enjoy going grocery shopping.  Kind of weird, I know.

But I've had a few good weeks of grocery shopping.  I usually don't go shopping on Sunday because it is usually really, really crowded, but there were a few items on sale this week that I thought may be out of stock by the time I got there later in the week.

So off I went, with Shelby tucked into her Boba/Sleepy wrap and perfectly content to wander the store with me.  It wasn't as crowded as I expected, but it wasn't as empty as I'm used to.  In the end I saved about 50%.  Here is how I did it.

Whole chicken, cut up - $6.52 but had a $3 meat sale coupon on it because it had to be sold by tomorrow (straight into the freezer)
London Broil steak - $6.79 with a $3 meat sale coupon
Bottom Round stead - $10.96 with a $3 meat sale coupon
Hatfield Precooked Ham (3 lbs) - $9.99 on sale (dinner for that night)
Chicken thighs - $4.03 with a $2 meat sale coupon
Chicken drumsticks - $4.46 with a $2 meat sale coupon
Butterball turkey - $14.36 (on sale for $0.99/lb) used $3 coupon with crescent roll and mashed potato purchases
     3 Pillsbury crescent rolls - $2 each on sale with a coupon for $0.50/3 (doubled)
     2 Betty Crocker mashed potatoes - $0.97 each on sale with a coupon for $0.40/2 (doubled)
Pop up turkey timers $1.99 (great to have in the house and this time of year is the only time I can find them)
Yogi Woman's Nursing Tea $4.99 (impulse purchase)
Idahoan Mashed Potatoes - $2.69 with coupon for $1.69 = $1
6 Coffee-mate 32 oz coffee creamers - $2.50 each. Used $1.50/3 and $1/3 coupons
4 store brand 4oz can of mushroom pieces - $0.69 each
3 store brand 8oz can of mushroom pieces - $1.59 each
Kraft Recipe Makers (a meal starter) - $2.99 on sale. Used a digital store coupon for $1 off
Deli ham -$7.20 ($6.99/pound)
Deli American cheese - $5.19 ($4.99/pound)
     (This store allows you to make your deli "order" at a kiosk and then pick it up when it is ready.  It is amazing how many people I saw standing by the deli counter wondering who was next.  I ordered my ham and cheese and then went and did my shopping.  A text message told me it was done and I could pick it up.  So much easier!!!)
Friendly's French Vanilla ice cream - $1.99 on sale (used a store coupon for $1 off ice cream and pie)
    2 Mrs. Smith's Apple Pies - $1.99 each on sale. Used $1/1 and $0.75/1 (doubled)
3 Dole Salad Kits at $2.99 each - used $1 store salad coupon
Store brand potato chips - $2 used a $1.75 digital store coupon (yes chips for $0.25!)
Yams - $0.89 per pound - with coupon became $0.39 per pound
Orange tic tacs (impulse purchase) $3.19
Single bag of M&Ms (needed my chocolate fix) - on sale for $1.25

I used the $10.50 from my last shopping trip and a $6.00 coupon if the order was over $100.  When all was done, I paid $94.27 and saved $89.94!  I don't think this was too bad considering I got a bunch of meat (for which there are almost no coupons!)

I will also get $4.00 from SavingStar ($3.00 for the turkey, $0.50 for the crescent rolls and $0.50 for the mashed potatoes).




0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)