A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

An online award

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhcNqCbfrz-fZJjj3-vNaklnQZFVw12AEAzrK1IEz3-2LlST0BlmqsJ3P4TOs4FYtZH2uFzEPsvPKkmN3hAcdHPdMQZXF557oaXDQNATTXnqLvqQ_nLMJO1-L7JRgHGSnCusXM3Q5TxCNQ/s1600/Liebster%20award.jpg




Mom in the USA nominated me for a Liebster Award.  So what is a Liester Award?  Karina @ Mom in the USA had an excellent post about the origins of this award.  The two main characteristics of this award are to learn a bit about the blog author and to spotlight blogs that are new and don't have many followers.

(On a side note: this is interesting timing as this post is my 100th published blog post!)

The rules are simple:
Thank your nominator, link back to the nominator's blog, answer the 11 questions posed by your nominator, list 5 random facts about yourself, create 5 questions for your nominees (which you will also answer), and nominate 5 other blogs with less than 200 followers.

So here we go!

Thank you to Karina @ Mom in the USA for the Liebster Award!  An honor that was unexpected and thrilling.  You can also link to her blog from the button on the left side of my blog.

11 Questions from Karina:

1. How did you come up with your blog design?
I started this blog to honor the memory of my son, Daniel, and raise awareness of the rare disease that claimed his life at age 5.  He loved yellow flowers, hence the background.  The top of both the left and right columns have additional information relating to Niemann-Pick Disease.  Further down on the left are the blog hops I participate in.  Further down on the right are ways to help raise funds for research through online donation methods (some do not involve cash).
 
2. What types of pets do you have/want?
I have a calico cat and a mini German Shephard dog.  The cat is 10 years old and the dog is 18.

3. Who was your favorite teacher?
My calculus (senior year math) teacher was my favorite.  She was down to earth, yet challenged us every day to think outside the box.

4. What is your favorite quote?
 My favorite quote is "Life Happens."  I don't know where or when I started saying it or even where it came from, but when I did an internet search, I found this:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"
5. Do you prefer to shop in a store or on-line?
I am not a big shopper, period, but I use both stores and on-line for different things.

6. What is your favorite family tradition?
We had some traditions when we were a family of three - going to see the lights on the CP Holiday Train, see Santa at the firehouse.  We haven't even thought about starting new traditions yet.

7. If you could travel anywhere, where would you want to go?
 Karina, I'm with you - travel the USA in an RV

8. What is your favorite comfort food?
Plain Potato Chips with dip.

9. How would you fill you time if you didn't blog?
I would probably read...something I have always enjoyed doing, but haven't had much time to do lately.

10. What is your favorite car (owned or would like to own)?
 For some reason, I have always wanted this car: a purple Plymouth Prowler.

11. Where are you sitting as you write this?
In my living room.


5 Random Facts

1. I am an only child.
2. I am a Certified Public Accountant.
3. I am not a big TV watcher.
4. I am only 5' tall.
5. I live in an agricultural community.


5 Questions for my Nominees

1. Where is your favorite place to go?
Any quaint bed and breakfast with my husband.

2. What is your favorite sports team (amateur or professional)?
I don't have one, since I am not really into any sort of sports.

3. What would you do if someone gave you $1 million?
I would divide it into quarters: 1 part to pay bills, 1 part to travel, 1 part to save, and 1 part to give to others.

4. If you could spend one day with a person who died, who would it be and why?
It's a toss up between my son and my father.  My son to tell him I love him and to hold him one more time.  My father to spend some time talking with him.

5. What is your favorite movie?
I picked a Christmas movie, but pick any movie you want.  My movie is The Night They Saved Christmas. Never heard of it?  Here is a summary from www.moviefone.com:
Art Carney effectively portrays a weary, wisecracking Santa Claus (not the department store variety, but the real McCoy) in the made-for-TV The Night They Saved Christmas. Right now, Santa has very little to be jolly about: his North Pole toy factory is threatened with demolition by greedy oil prospectors. Eco-conscious Jaclyn Smith and three kids come to the rescue. The film is highlighted by several songs written by Paul Williams, who co-stars as chief elf Ed. Filmed in part at the Arctic Circle, The Night They Save Christmas was a Holiday perennial for several years after its December 1984 debut.

My Nominees:






I also can't forget about Thumpin Thursday's

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of your Christmas movie pick and I'm absolutely on my way to find out more. love pretty much anything from those 80's... well sort of . =)

    Aloha,
    I'm stopping by from An Ephesians 5:33 Wife to say "hi" and to invite you to join for An Aloha Affair, a sweet gathering and growing together of creative souls. You are always welcome. Always.

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill,
    Congratulations on your 100th blog post! I love your answers. A CPA? I would have liked to have had you in my Accounting class. Plain chips with dip - a gal after my own heart - well the dip part. I'll take just about any kind of chip. Bed and breakfasts are sweet too. I remember when my brother-in-law passed away, my niece used to love going to sleep because she said that Daddy came to see her in her dreams. Maybe your son and father will see you in your sleep/dreams. Thank you for sharing the information.

    Karina

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)