A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Politics - Not my favorite subject

It's that lovely time of year when the television ads are dominated by advertisements for one candidate or another.  Truthfully, I mute them or change the channel.  The 30 second sound bite is just that, a sound bite - which may or may not be true, or taken out of context, or changed in some way. 

I do my duty, and vote for the people I think will do the best job for my needs and in the area I live - I don't vote for any one particular party.  In fact, I am not even registered in any political party!  I can still vote in any general election, just not primary elections.

But that is not the reason for this post.  A good friend of mine has, for almost 2 years, been searching for a diagnosis for her daughter.  We have traveled similar paths of tests, Medicaid regulations, and hospital stays.  She had to become a stay-at-home mom, leaving a doctoral program, because of her daughter's needs.  And she has a significant amount of time to do research on all sorts of things, including the politicians.

A few weeks ago, she posted on her blog about The Election.  I think it very clearly explains the predicament of middle class families with children that have significant medical needs.  She recently followed it up with a post about Medicaid.


Whether you agree or not, please read the posts and truly think about who you will vote for this November.

1 comment:

  1. So true and so sad. Unfortunately, many people judge Medicaid spending by the abuses, not the good it does and the abuses are not the fault of the many but the fault of the administrators. I can't wrap my head around why people think it's okay to deny necessary medical coverage and care to children who are special needs or just in need. It's a sad thing to believe that there are politicians and citizens who think our children, both special needs and "normal" who are "less than" and are not deserving; in my extreme thinking these children and their parents are being told that these children don't deserve life (and these are the people who call themselves "right to lifers?). I mean, c'mon--if nothing else these children ARE the future of the United States.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)