A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Medical Research in Children

I read an interesting blog post on Vector, Boston Children's Hospital's science and clinical innovation blog.

Why are children "left out in the cold"?  For the same reasons women were "left out" many, many years ago - when research and clinical trials were focused on men only.

But treatments for kids can't be just "pint-sized" treatments for adults.  Although we all have the same parts, and those parts generally function the same (eyes are eyes, lungs are lungs) kids are not just small adults.

Until the research community realizes that kids have their own unique needs, focused research in children will still be "pie in the sky".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)