A blog about the grief after losing a child to Niemann Pick, Type C, a rare disease, and how I'm moving forward with my life.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Talking about Dan

Another quote from the Grief Speaks Facebook page:

Expect that at first some people will fall silent when you enter a room or have trouble making eye contact with you. They are likely at a loss as to what to say and they are not intending to be rude. There may be times when you do not feel like talking, so this reaction might actually be welcome.
If you feel like it bring up the topic of your baby's death with these silent co-workers and let them know where you are at. For many this is all it takes to give them permission to say something- they're only waiting for your lead because they aren't sure if you want to talk about it.
~ A Guide for Fathers: When a Baby Dies by Tim Nelson
 
I know many who are worried about talking about Dan with me.  Yes, there are times I will cry as we talk, but there are many times when I will laugh and smile as you tell me about your memories of  him.  That is one of the greatest gifts you can give a grieving parent - a happy memory of their child, or an experience that you want to share.  It means that Dan isn't forgotten and made an impact in your life, even for a little bit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. :-)